Mindfulness and Compassion for All
“Laughter is the best medicine.”
Laughter Yoga combines laughter exercises with yogic breathing in a unique way to create a healthier, happier life. I am a certified Laughter Yoga facilitator/trainer available to teach individual classes, workshops, seminars, and conferences. I work with children of all ages from 5 to 95. Search for Laughter Yoga in your web browser and on youTube. There are dozens of entertaining and informative videos (A few are listed here and on the RESOURCES page).
What is Laughter Yoga:
LY is unique. Anyone can laugh for no reason. We initiate laughter as an exercise but with eye contact and child like playfulness, it turns into real and contagious laughter. It is called LY because it combines laughter exercises with yoga breathing which brings oxygen to the body and brain and makes us feel more energetic. It is based on the scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between real and fake laughter. We reap the same benefits. LY was started by a medical doctor, Dr. Madan Kataria in 1995 in Mumbai with 5 people. Now there are 1000s of laughter clubs in more than 80 countries.
Some of the Benefits of Laughter Yoga include:
1. Personal Benefit: LY can change your mood within minutes by releasing endorphins. If your mood is good, you do everything well.
2. Health Benefit: LY strengthens the immune system and reduces stress levels. (Dr. Lee Berk at Loma Linda University has done extensive research on the health benefits of laughter.)
3. Productivity (Business) Benefit: The brain needs 25% more oxygen than the rest of the body for optimal functioning. LY increases the net supply of oxygen so you feel more energetic and motivated.
4. Social Benefit: Social connections and quality of life depend on quality of friends and other relationships. LY connects us quickly to other people.5.
5. Everyone can laugh when times are good. Regular practice of LY can give you a positive mental attitude so you go through challenges more easily